Thursday 23 February 2012

Piano practice: The beginning



I have decided to learn to play the piano. By myself. No tuition. Just me. I will be tracking my progress here.

I've been playing for 3 weeks now and it started out very promising. I could quickly play very simple, 16-bar practice pieces with two hands (as long as the corresponding fingers on each hand were used at the same time). That was week one.

For the last 2 weeks I have been playing two pieces. The first, Three Blind Mice. This is one of the first tunes that everyone who ever had instrument lessons at school would learn first. On piano, it is hard. Really hard! The second piece is Lullaby by Brahms, which turned out to be easier than Three Blind Mice. In fact, I can rarely play either without there being a mistake.

So this is week 4. My aims for week 4 are to continue with Lullaby, and attempt Ode to Joy by Beethoven. I can play the top line very easily. The bottom line is even easier but....putting them together...challenging. The only thing to do is play it over and over again. As I have a digital piano I can plug my headphones in and listen through those. My boyfriend is relieved.

No comments:

Post a Comment